Sunday, August 30, 2009

End of the Day - an original short story

Ted had a sneaking suspicion that he wasn't alone in the room, but he couldn't see a thing in the utter darkness. He had just finished a particularly grueling shift at the plant, and coming home to rest was all he had on his mind. He and Amy had been in the middle of an argument when he left, and it had grated on him all day. He had no idea how to make her see his point, and for the life of him he couldn't understand where she was coming from.
Their conflict had put a negative spin on everything that had happened that day, from the morning commute to his boss's requests, to his having to work late and miss dinner. Now he was doing his best to enter the house quietly so as not to wake Amy, tired as he was Ted didn't think he could stand any more arguing.
When he first left for work, his mind had been busy constructing ways to convince Amy of his rightness, but now he felt that it didn't matter who was right or not. All he wanted was to find solace in her arms. He didn't know if she would forgive him, if she would even want to talk to him, or if she would continue the argument where they left off.
Finding the kitchen light switch, Ted gently turned the dimmer to see Amy sleeping in one of the chairs, her head resting on the table, her hair flowing over one arm onto a note she must have written. She had such a peaceful smile on her face that Ted didn't want to disturb her. Sneaking the note out from under her arm, he began to read:
My dear Ted, I wanted to stay up and see you, but it's getting late. I think I'm going to fall asleep pretty soon, but I want you to know this tonight - I love you. We may have our differences, but nothing can end my love for you. Thinking of your smile always cheers me up, and hearing your voice sweeps away my cares. I know we'll work through this, the way we've worked through things in the past, and we'll be stronger for it. Good night my love, never forget how much I love you! - Amy
Setting the note back on the table, Ted felt his chest heave as silent sobs shook him. All this time he had been worried, and she had only been concerned for him! The cares of the day were replaced with relief, and love swelled within him for this wonderful woman.
Ted lifted Amy's head to give her a kiss, and he saw the lines of tears tracing her cheeks. Suddenly tears began to flow from his eyes as well. Taking Amy in his arms, Ted wiped the tear tracks from her face, and suddenly he felt her stir slightly and murmur his name.
Kissing her lightly, he whispered, "Amy, my love, I'm here. You must be so tired, let's head to bed. I love you." A moment went by, and he thought of one more thing that needed to be said, "I'm sorry."
They stood together, and Ted steadied Amy as he guided her out of the kitchen, her head resting on his shoulder. As they lay down in bed and his wife snuggled closer, Ted knew there was nowhere else he'd rather be, and nothing else he would rather do, than be there in that moment with Amy.

1 comment:

Aliza Latta said...

Andrew, you're a really good writer. I loved reading both of your stories. Thanks so much for linking up!