Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sneaky Underhanded Dealings...

I had to leave a Facebook group today. Why? Because someone decided that rather than create another Facebook group with the opposite message, they would simply change the name, objective and viewpoint of the group to its opposite without telling anyone.

The previous name was "I support Bill C-484"... suddenly, the new name is "We oppose Bill C-484"... what? I wonder how many of the now 364 members actually agree with the purpose of the group now.

In case you're wondering why the change is so drastic, Bill C-484 was a bill that did not pass, but supported the rights of fetuses and their mothers in the following way: If a violent crime was committed against a pregnant woman, it would be considered a seperate offense if her fetus was killed or injured during the crime against their mother.

I understand that different people believe different things... and they have the privilege of creating a seperate group to support their stance. But to underhandedly get members for their group from people who specifically DO NOT believe the same way is devious and provides a slanted and untrue picture of the will of the masses.

Not only this, but the group is highly militant in its new stand, speaking of "anti-choice" MPs, and letting them know you won't have them "imposing their religious beliefs" in government... it sounds like someone is anti-choice... the choice to let children live. If only one choice is argued, if only one choice is allowed, if only one choice can be heard, how is there a choice?

You may say that I am anti-choice... that's fine. I am against a lot of choices. There's a good reason for that. When you know the truth, the wrong answer doesn't make sense as a choice. Have you ever taken a multiple choice test? How many of the choices for each question were right? Only one. That meant if you didn't know which one was right, all of them could have an equal chance of being right, but once you knew which one was right, choosing any of the others wouldn't make any sense. By the way, if you remove the correct answer from the test and don't let anyone pick it, it doesn't suddenly make it incorrect, or make any of the other answers correct.

Let me give you examples of "anti-choice", if you will. I am against having the choice to kick you in the face or not... I am against having the choice to steal your TV... I am against having the choice to vandalize your property... I am against having the choice to sleep with your wife... I am against having the choice to kill you, your parents, or your children...

I know as soon as I say the words "pro-life", I'll probably have a bunch of angry comments because somehow, wanting children to live makes me the bad guy. Somehow, having an idea that truth is not relative makes me dangerous. Well, truth is a dangerous thing, if your worldview is based on lies. You can't hear it, because it would undermine everything you've worked so hard to believe. If you heard it, and understood it, you might have to... *gulp*... change.

Everyone wants to feel like they're OK. Guess what? When I base my life on a lie, I'm not OK. When I ignore the truth for the sake of my comfort, I'm not OK. When I lash out at those who tell me the truth instead of taking it to heart and considering it, I'm not OK. I have made the choice to do everything in my power not to lie to myself... or to anyone else.

One day, our culture may do its best to completely cover up the truth. Laws may be made claiming that lies are good, and that truth is bad. Every concept we know may be turned on its head, black may be called white, up may be called down, but this doesn't change what is.

If the truth is dangerous, then I don't want to be safe and comfortable. Say what you will about the truth, and say what you will about me, but I will choose to be firmly on the side of truth. Matthew 5:11-12 says:

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

So say what you will. I will continue to speak up for the babies who as yet have no voices. Open your ears to their cries for help. Stop calling abortion a choice, and then shutting down all other possible choices. That's not a choice, that's brainwashing. For goodness' sake, people, I have two uncles and a good friend who were adopted. Please consider that option. They are great people, and have contributed much to this world.

They did say one thing on that group that I agree with though. And that was to speak up about your abortion experience if you've had one. Be open and invite others to do the same. What they don't tell you, and I will, is be honest. If you suffered emotional trauma as a result of it, or feel guilt, people need to know that side of it too. How could your experience change someone else's life for the better if you only speak up?

I must also add that I DO NOT hate those who have had abortions. I feel sorrow for their unborn children, and for the pain those mothers will often endure as a result, pain that noone told them they would face. So yes, be open about it. I do not say this from a position of judgement or hate, but of love and concern. Be open and honest with yourself and others, and whether you are considering an abortion, have had one, or are merely concerned about the issue, find out ALL of the facts. Don't blind yourself to the truth simply because of the wealth of information out there from the ones who are most vocal.

May you truly be blessed.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I would rather be "anti-choice" than "anti-life" any day.