Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Stuck in a Moment...

Ever feel like the U2 song... "Stuck in a moment, and you can't get out of it"? I know there are times when I focus so much on one circumstance that I miss everything else, and it's like life is passing by while I'm stuck there, unable to see it or even acknowledge it. I can't even see it in myself often, but it's sure easy to see it in others. Why is it that I can't look at my own feelings objectively? Are they too deep a part of me, would I not like what I find out? Or am I scared that I would have to act on what I learn? I think, deep down, that we all like to be comfortable, we don't like to change. We'd rather stay stuck in that moment often, even if it's not a great feeling, because we're used to it. We've become comfortable with ourselves the way we are, like when I want to start exercising but can't seem to ever find the time.

I think I'm kind of scared that the change will hurt, but of course it hurts. Growth hurts. Growth is uncomfortable. If you don't change, if you don't grow, you become stagnant. I think God is pushing me to grow, to change, to become what I was born to be, to fulfill my destiny. I think it's similar to Elrond telling Aragorn in 'The Return of the King', "Become who you were born to be!" as he gives him the sword which signifies his destiny. I long to fulfill my destiny, and at the same time I am terribly afraid... what if I don't measure up? What if I fail? What if I have to put effort into it? What if I get uncomfortable?

For me, I know it's time to put aside those questions and doubts. There will be times when I will fail, when I won't measure up, when I will be uncomfortable, and when the effort will seem like too much. That's just part of growing. I echo Aragorn in saying, "There may come a time when the strength of men will fail... but IT IS NOT THIS DAY!" I know that God is my source of strength, and it's time to 'put feet to my faith'... to get out there and just do what I'm supposed to do, regardless of the cost to my comfort. I will grow, and I will fail at times, but I will ultimately succeed, because I know that the battle I fight has already been won.

To quote another U2 song... "It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away..."

1 comment:

Dave said...

Ah, what a post.
Nothing to add.. Well done, well done indeed..

Though I do want to bring up the fact that ever since you sent me that email relating to my Devo on Worth.. I've been struggling to even say the word 'worship' without dividing it up like so, "worth-ship"..
Thanks a lot..
~Dave~