Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Devotion

Hey, this was my first devo at "The Rock". It's actually on devotion, hence the title.

Devotion is not just a word. We need to be devoted to God. When we talk about "devotions", we think about reading and studying the Bible, maybe our quick prayer time with God when we wake up or go to bed... but what is it really?
Think about someone who is "devoted" to a person, a cause, a sports team, a brand of cola... whatever. That person is constantly thinking about the object of their devotion, constantly talking about it, obsessed with it, if you will. That's how we need to be about God.
Devotion is a lifestyle. It's not just a half hour on a Friday night, or going to church on Sunday, or reading your Bible, as good as those things are. It's also about what you do the rest of the week: how you talk to your friends, what you spend all your time doing, the things you watch on TV when no one else is around.
Let's use hockey as an example, since there doesn't seem to be much of it in the NHL this yeart. Imagine a Leafs fan for a moment. Ok, fine, imagine me. On a year when there's hockey, the Leafs are my favourite team. I wear the hat and the sweatshirt, watch the games, talk about them all the time. I'm a devoted fan. Now imagine if I never talked about them, never watched a game unless I was actually in the arena already by some chance, and not only that, but I was constantly telling all my friends how great the Montreal Canadiens were. You'd think I was out of my mind! Certainly you'd never think of me as being devoted to the Leafs.
But that's the way we treat God on a day-to-day basis. We're so concerned with Strongbad, Halo 2, or the next dance, we don't take time out to be with Him, and we don't filter our decisions through Him.
We need to make devotions a 24/7 thing. We need to stop playing aroun with God and get serious. He is the best thing that ever happened to us. We need to start seeking Him the way He seeks us: recklessly, with abandon, and with all that we are... we need to be devoted.

No comments: